Kalamazoo’s DeLano Farms Homestead Receives Michigan Architectural Foundation 2018 Evans-Graham Memorial Preservation Award Grant

Michigan’s architecture helps to tell interesting stories of our state’s history, including the many farms and farmhouses that belonged to Michigan’s early settlers.

Kalamazoo’s DeLano Farms Homestead has been named the recipient of Michigan Architectural Foundation’s 2018 Evans-Graham Historic Preservation Award grant. The $10,000 grant will contribute to the restoration of the property’s 1858 Greek Revival DeLano house.

The historic home provides a view into settler’s life, and the working educational farm illustrates the connection between human beings and nature, as well as the importance of historical knowledge in creating a sustainable future.

MAF’s Evans-Graham Memorial Preservation Award grants provide vital funding to protect and restore threatened historic architecture throughout Michigan. 2018 marks the 20th anniversary of the grant program. This year, the award amount was increased from $7,500 to $10,000.

The DeLano Farms Homestead site is located on the western portion of the 1,100-acre Kalamazoo Nature Center.  The farm features learning gardens, a ‘U-pick’ field, summer time farmyard animals, and chickens and goats year-round.  It was the homestead of William Smith DeLano, a Michigan pioneer settler. A native of western New York State, DeLano came to the area in 1837, and in 1843, purchased forty acres and began the family farmstead. Over the years, DeLano’s family eventually acquired over six hundred acres, and members of the family lived on the farm until 1963. In 1968 the Kalamazoo Nature Center acquired the home and most of the original DeLano farm. The farmhouse was restored and opened to the public in 1973.

The MAF Evans-Graham Award grant jury is comprised of a panel of professionals who are passionate about preservation in the state of Michigan, and whose dedication and insights have helped to preserve the architectural assets and history of our communities.

Past Michigan architecture that has benefitted from the grants include the Belle Isle Aquarium; the 1889 Sault Sainte Marie News building (now home to the Chippewa County Historical Society); Charlevoix’s Pier Lighthouse; Frank Lloyd Wright’s Affleck House; an 1850 Worker Row House (now a museum) in Detroit’s Corktown; and the King House, the last remaining house of the Odawa Indian’s Middle Village, near Good Hart.

More information about MAF’s Evans-Graham Memorial Preservation Award grants, and past grant winners, is available here.