Past Evans Graham Memorial Preservation Award Recipients
2016 recipient of the Evans-Graham Memorial Preservation Award: The King House; Submitted by Carol Sutherland and Jane Cardinal of the King House Association
The grant money will be added to existing funds to allow the association to proceed with the first stabilization step: replacing the roof. The asphalt shingles will be replaced with treated cedar shingles. With the grant they will be able to proceed to the second focus of concern, the chinking and treatment of the hewn logs in the upcoming summer.
2015 recipient of the David Evans Historic Preservation Award: Lighting the Future by Preserving the Past, Submitted by Indian Village, Detroit.
Indian Village, established in 1893, is one of Detroit’s oldest historic residential neighborhoods with its original streetlights that were installed ca. 1910. As part of the “Relighting Detroit” effort, Indian Village is embarking on an effort to restore its early 20th century streetlights with 21st century techniques. The $7,500 Evans Graham Memorial Preservation Grant will be used to help fund the restoration of 60 historic wood and cast iron electric street lights in Indian Village. The project is called “Lighting the Future By Preserving the Past” and is run by the Indian Village Historic Collections, Historic Indian Village Association. Click here
to read more about this project.
2014 recipient of the David Evans Historic Preservation Award: the Belle Isle Aquarium Submitted by the Belle Isle Conservancy (BIC).
The $7,500 grant will support window and exterior wood repair, masonry repointing and renovation, and stabilization of the masonry chimney at the Belle Isle Aquarium
. This 10,000-square-foot historic building features a single large gallery with an arched ceiling covered in green glass tile to evoke an underwater feeling. (click here to view a photo gallery
2013 recipient of the David Evans Historic Preservation Award was Ted’s House in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
2013: Submitted by The Old House Network
in Kalamazoo, MI, a nonprofit educational gathering of old house lovers.
2012 recipient of the David Evans Historic Preservation Award was the Bonine House Tower Lookout and Roof Restoration.
: Submitted by Copper Country Preservation, Inc
. in Calumet, MI, a nonprofit organization dedicated to the protection and rehabilitation of historic resources along Michigan’s Keweenaw Peninsula.
2011 recipient of the David Evans Historic Preservation Award was the Michigan Historic Preservation Network for the adaptive reuse of the Thelma Joyce Osteen Comfort Station for their new headquarters.
2011: Michigan Historic Preservation Network (MHPN), formed in 1981, is the statewide non-profit organization in Michigan that advocates for our historic places to contribute to our economic vitality, sense of place and connection to our past.· MHPN will rehabilitate the Thelma Joyce Comfort Station, an unusual,·long-vacant historic commercial building in Lansing originally affiliated with an interurban rail system, for·its headquarters office and as a case study for future projects.
2010 recipient of the David Evans Historic Preservation Award was Lawrence Technological University for improvements to Affleck House in Bloomfield Hills.
2010: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Affleck House in Bloomfield Hills for interior renovation. The house is owned by Lawrence Technological University and students worked to recreate the furniture. It is on both the state and National Register of Historic Places.
2009 recipient of the David Evans Historic Preservation Award was Charlevoix Historical Society’s rehabilitation of the 1867 lighthouse located at the entrance into the Pine River channel in Charlevoix.
2009: Charlevoix Historical Society, for repainting the 1885 South Pier Lighthouse on the Pine River Channel in Charlevoix. Removing the lead based paint and returning to the original lighthouse-red completed Phase II of a four step process to revive the historic structure.
2008: The largest award the Foundation has been able to grant was to the William E. Scripps Estate to restore the 1928 “Outdoor Room.” This preserved the landscaping to this remarkable historic industrial business founder’s home, located in Rochester. The completed work was celebrated in the fall of 2008.
2007’s David Evans Preservation Award recipient was the Chippewa County Historical Society for restoring the roof of the News Building, originally built in 1889 to house Chase S. Osborn’s Sault Ste. Marie News.
2007: The third for the Upper Peninsula, replaced the roof on the new home of the Chippewa County Historical Society in Sault Ste Marie. The News Building constructed in 1889 originally housed Chase S. Osborn’s Sault Ste. Marie News. The jury supported its reuse and felt that the restoration of the building would be a welcomed addition to the city’s ongoing “Cool Cities” initiatives, which included the restoration of the 1930s Soo Theatre.
2006: The Perkins-Copland Log Cabin, originally located in Haslett but now in Okemos at the Meridian Historical Village. The Friends of Historic Meridian acquired the building in 2005 and moved it to Okemos and use it to demonstrate local history. Although the MAF/Clannad Foundation does not usually support the relocation of historic structures, vandalism, because of its original remote location, threatened the survival of one of the few pieces of primitive architecture left in Michigan and an exception was made.
2005: The Phoenix of the Detroit Fire Department, assisting in the restoration of Engine 11, an 1883 Firehouse on Gratiot in Detroit. The firehouse was in service until 1989. The renovation included an overhaul of the building’s mechanical systems and improvements to the aesthetic properties of the exterior.
2004: Pettibone Creek Hydroelectric Station in Milford to replace the quarry tile floor in an Art Deco structure that was designed by Albert Kahn as a power plant for Henry Ford in 1939.
2003: Newberry, in the Upper Peninsula, to help to restore the Turret of the 1894 Queen Ann Style Sheriff’s Residence for the Luce County Historical Society.
2002: The Corktown Tenement House is one of the few surviving examples of an Irish workers cottage left in Detroit. The long term goal is to restore the house for use as a Tenement Museum. The Evans Grant provided funds to repair the roof.
2001: The exterior restoration of the Pewabic House in Houghton. The house is the family home of Mary Chase Stratton, the founder of Pewabic Pottery. The Pewabic Pottery was a leader in the art pottery movement in the early part of the Twentieth Century and is still in business in Detroit.
2000: Coopersville Area Historical Society for the restoration of Interurban Car #8. Coopersville was commended for saving an unique example from America’s recent past.
1999: The first award was to the Shielding Tree Nature Center to restore the Lawr Farm, in Port Oneida, for adaptive reuse. This farm is one of several that are within the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore Park.